Thursday, August 21, 2014

Introduction and Feelers

These introductory remarks must be made before I post any blogs here...
1.  I am new to the blogging world.  Facebook is pretty easy for me and I tweet like a beginner.  I ask for your patience and will take suggestions.
2.  I do not claim to be a journalist!  I simply want to spark some conversations within the social media world of Walker County, and would like to raise awareness about some concerns I have/see in our county.
3.  I am not always politically correct.  I want to be polite and open to all views, but I don't believe in 'not expressing' my opinion in order to avoid hurting someone's feelings.  
4.  I am not opposed to government; I think it should be a limited and transparent government.  Understand, I am not here because I have a personal grudge against the county's leadership.
5.  I have never been in politics.  Therefore, there may be some rules or laws of which I am ignorant, but I am willing to learn.  

With that being said, I can start this first blog.
What happened to being the elected official of the people?  The people of Walker County elected BeBe as commissioner, though it was a very narrow win, in order to manage the affairs of the county. She is our elected official; one that should make decisions based on the citizens of Walker County.  Does she know what we as citizens of Walker want in our county?  I don't think she does!
You might ask, "How does she not know of our frustration?"  I'm sure she knows, but she is not held accountable!  We can get on Facebook, twitter, and any other blog or social media outlet and vent all day long, but I think it should be bigger than that.  It should be people meeting at her office with their frustrations and demanding her to listen to what we want. It should be people meeting at her office making her understand that she wastes the money she already collects in taxes. It should be personally calling her office and expressing our concerns.  If she wants to be the sole commissioner, then she should have to face these issues herself.  
I live in Walker County, and hear the frustrations of Walker County!  I want to see a different leadership.  So, I want to know if you want a change in Walker County?  According to the State of Georgia’s Secretary of States website[1], in the 2012 primary election, Paul Shaw lost by 214 votes. What is alarming is the amount of people that voted.  In July of 2012, there were 32,121 registered voters in the county, but only 11,808 votes were cast.  Where are the concerned citizens?  Where are the people that want a change in leadership? 
It is time for a better Walker County!  It is time for a better commissioner.  We need a commissioner that listens to the voice of the citizens and has a desire to see Walker thrive; one that is responsible and chooses to be accountable to the people of Walker County.  In order for this to happen, the citizens must voice their concerns to the commissioner.  They must be active in the election process and at the end of the day…..VOTE!



[1] State of Georgia Secretary of State, 2012, Statement of Votes Cast, viewed 21 Aug 2014,http://www2.sos.state.ga.us/elections/election_results/SOVCReports/2012_0731/walker.pdf>

6 comments:

  1. Time for change in Walker County Government

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good opening salvo, Matthew. I believe you will find a receptive audience across the county.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But check your clock...I think it's about 4 hours early.

    ReplyDelete